This session will help employers escape this new wave of litigation by clarifying the following issues and more: What do federal and Arizona wage & hour laws actually require (and do not require)? Who counts as an “employee”? What are an employer’s timekeeping obligations? How do you calculate overtime pay, and what is “overtime” in the first place? What are the dangers in deducting from or withholding an employee’s pay? What really is an “exempt” employee?
Thursday, February 7
7:30am - 11am
Sheraton Phoenix Downtown
340 North Third Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85004
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Fisher & Phillips LLP presents:
New Wave of Wage & Hour Litigation:
Strategies on How to Protect Your Business
Wage and hour lawsuits in Arizona have quadrupled in the last decade—from less than40 per year to more than 150 cases filed annually. More claims never reach litigation and instead are resolved through informal settlement.
For an increasing number of organizations—even those that think they are doing it right, and particularly those that think they are too small—it is just a matter of time before they are faced with a wage and hour lawsuit.
Top Five Employer Wage & Hour Mistakes
What Will I Learn? This session will help employers escape this new wave of litigation by clarifying the following issues and more:
- Assuming that a pay plan is perfectly fine because "Everyone does it”
- Not paying salaried employees overtime
- Not requiring salaried employees to keep accurate timesheets
- Not including "discretionary pay” or "bonuses” into overtime pay calculations
- Misclassifying workers as "independent contractors”
Presenters: Pavneet Singh Uppal, John E. Thompson, and Shayna H. Balch of Fisher & Phillips LLP will address wage and hour issues and questions during this interactive session.
- What do federal and Arizona wage & hour laws actually require (and do not require)?
- Who counts as an "employee”?
- What are an employer’s timekeeping obligations?
- How do you calculate overtime pay, and what is "overtime” in the first place?
- What are the dangers in deducting from or withholding an employee’s pay?
- What really is an "exempt” employee?
About Fisher & Phillips LLP
Fisher & Phillips LLP (www.laborlawyers.com) is one of the largest national law firms in the field of labor and employment law, with more than 275 attorneys in 27 offices. Founded in 1943, it is one of the first U.S. law firms to focus exclusively upon representation of employers in labor and employment matters.
Registration & Breakfast: 7:30 a.m.-8:00 a.m.; Program: 8:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Cost: $55 per person or $45 per person for two or more from the same company. ASBA MEMBERS: Use promo code PHX35 to receive a special $35/per person rate! Space is limited.
Cancellations must be received at least three calendar days before the seminar in order to be eligible for a refund.
You can register online at www.laborlawyers.com,
or click here to download the registration form and mail or fax with payment to:
Fisher & Phillips LLP, Attention: Jackie Greenbaum
2050 Main Street, Suite 1000, Irvine, CA 92614
Phone: (949) 851-2424
Toll free: (866) 644-5610
Fax: (949) 851-0152