It happens to even the most enthusiastic, devoted entrepreneur. It’s a new year and in spite of your best efforts, you have lost momentum and are off your game. You go into your office, you stare at the pile of work, the unanswered emails, the phone calls you know you need to make and it all looks so overwhelming. The rush of the holidays, out of town guests, extreme highs or lows in business volume and suddenly, you are behind in everything.
Worse yet, you aren’t really motivated to get started again. Many of us half- heartedly begin with something and then quit early and feel lousy about ourselves. Here are some ways to get yourself back in the groove, excited again about your business.
1. Admit to yourself that you aren’t motivated and that it is OK to feel that way. Sometimes admitting that we feel negatively about our business can move the blockade of inertia. Everyone loses steam sometimes, why not you? You are human and constant effort with no break or slowdown is just unrealistic. Make a mental note that this is going to happen from time to time in the lifetime of your business and that you will have strategies for dealing with it the next time it happens. And it WILL happen.
2. Talk to someone about how you are feeling. Talking with an understanding listener can help us to get perspective on what is going on. IS this a real crisis, or just a temporary dip in energy and enthusiasm? You don’t want to go whining to just anybody; pick another person who may have experienced the same thing and has come through it themselves. You will probably find that you are not alone in this feeling and hearing about the experiences of others will help you.
3. Review your most powerful "Why.” Take time to remember why you got into this business. Go back to the beginning when you were planning how this would be a way for you to express your creativity, be your own boss, and make a difference in the world. Whatever it was, get back there and relive those memories of excitement, hope and anticipation. Remember that the world needs you and what you have to contribute.
4. Commit to your most powerful action that will have the greatest effect. Close the door, sit down at your desk or computer, turn off the phone and look at your planner and list of things to do. You know that there is ONE thing that if you do it, it will make a huge difference in your business and getting you back on track. Pick the smallest, easiest thing that will make the most impact. Set a timer if you need to, but begin to work on that one thing. Making the decision about what is important and then moving on it, is the most motivating action you can do.
5. Acknowledge your accomplishments Take time to notice where you have been successful in the last several months. Chances are there are many wins, successes and gains that you have overlooked. Looking at your business in terms of successes rather than failures may be just the boost you need.
I would also encourage you to also explore the benefits and resources available through the Arizona Small Business Association. Visit asba.com to view the opportunities available to make money, save money and amplify your voice in the coming year. Don’t be overly concerned about dips in motivation. All humans wax and wane in our ability to be at the top of our game. With knowledge, perspective and careful strategies we can smooth over the low points and recover faster with less angst and guilt.
Get $5k-$20 in Free Marketing: Make 2016 Your Year for Success!
Use In Business Magazine as a tool to reach your customers for 2016. Through Print, Online, Social Media, Email & Events, you can realize an additional $5k to $20k in free advertising with In Business Magazine over 2016.
What's trending for 2016? Small Business! This year, resolve to support our local economy by "Thinking Small" at least one time each week! Need help finding a small biz? Visit ThinkSmallBizAZ.com! #ThinkSmallBiz
Allowing you to concentrate on what's really important.
We understand the insurance needs of locally-owned businesses because we're one, too. As an ASBA member backed by CNA, we're dedicated to helping small businesses like yours safeguard all you've worked so hard to build.
CopperPoint Insurance is Arizona's premiere provider of workers compensation insurance. We've been providing coverage and advocating for Arizona businesses, small and large, throughout the state since 1925.